Tilling Regals: T307-318
Thomas Tilling operated twelve Regals for the 109 route through Bromley, that encountered a succession of low bridges at Clock House, Shortlands and Chislehurst Water Tower. (This route, Crystal Palace - Penge - Beckenham - Bromley - Chislehurst - Welling, was later better known as the 227 in the London Transport numbering).
The Tilling Ts were actually bought new by the LGOC in 1932 for Tillings to operate. They naturally had 26ft long bodies for bus work, with forward entrances and a central rear emergency exit. In Tilling fashion they had narrow windows, and plenty of bays, but were most readily identified by the very wide display boxes that stood squarely proud of the roofs at front and rear. These had space for a separate route number window as well as one for destination and via points. (In LT ownership the actual displays were reduced to a single standard combined display at front and rear, but the wide boxes remained.) There was a spare body, so quick overhauls in five days could be managed, between weekends!
They went into service on the 109 from Bromley garage in September 1932, replacing O-type petrol-electric single-deckers. They were absorbed into London Transport along with Bromley garage in 1933. The 109 group was renumbered as 227 in October 1934, in the single-decker route series. Traffic growth on the 227 meant that they were replaced by longer LTLs, (operating from Elmers End), and were moved to Kingston in March/April 1936. This removed the incentive to keep the spare body, and that was painted green and mounted on T370 for the Country Area.
They were given larger engines, although the two that had started off with fluid flywheels had them replaced with clash gearboxes.
In the usual way of things they were later to be found mixed amongst the other Ts at garages around the Central Area, although Kingston remained a favoured location.
They survived the war, being withdrawn from service in 1949, some after enjoying the change of operating doubledecker trunk routes during the 1949 vehicle shortages.
T317 survived somewhat longer than the others, as Chiswick's Accident Demonstration Unit, fitted w3ith a door at the top of the entrance steps.
As such it survived until January 1953.