The Chiswick CB buses: T 1000-2 (Total 3)At about the time that AEC was contemplating the Regal, Regent and Renown chassis, Chiswick works was contemplating its own designs of chassis: the CC six-wheeler for double-deckers, and the CB four-wheel single-decker chassis. The General management gave permission for six of each to be built, but in the event there were only four CC chassis and three CB. They had been overtaken by events, or rather by the advent of the AEC chassis.
ConstructionThe CB buses had six-cylinder Meadows petrol engines and separate gearbox, tucked under a long bonnet with two inspection panels on the nearside and a short one on the offside.
The bodies were L.G.O.C. (Chiswick-built) forward entrance, 30 seaters, 26ft long x 7ft 6in wide. The doorway occupied the front bay on the nearside, with a step up into the saloon.
The cabs were not identical: T1000, built in May 1931, had a separate cab unit mounted on the chassis. It was built with a wind-screen, and a grommet between the screen top and the roof. T1001-2, built in September and October, had cabs cantilevered out from the body, with a seal between cab and bonnet. These two also had route boxes on the rear of the roof, like the later LTLs, while T1000 only had a front box, like the 1T1s.
Into serviceT1000 went at first to Nunhead garage (AH), where it was used on the Nunhead circular route (621A). When T1001 and T1002 were delivered, all three went to Weybridge garage (WB), for use on the Kingston - Woking 79 route. When WB closed they moved to Kingston (K), still on the Woking route, by now the 219.
They were retrofitted with AEC petrol engines during 1933, and were also later fitted with different differential gears.
They stayed at Kingston until withdrawn in February 1938, and were then stored at Bromley, Chiswick Tram Depot and Bull Yard, Peckham before being sold in August 1940 to Henry Lane (London SW10). All three were then bought by Valliant of London, but T1001-2 were requisitioned for War Department use during the war..