This page created 1997, updated 5th July 2000
The Post-war STLs
The Provincial Weymann STLs: STL 2682-2701 (Total 20)
After the war the Country Area was needing to replace its very tired STs, and not being first in the queue for RTs sought an interim solution in a purchase of distinctly non-London buses. (Chiswick was fully occupied with repair work, so another batch of standard STLs was not available). The buses allocated by the Ministry were standard Weymann bodied AEC Regent IIs, with diesel engines and crash gearboxes, and as such were numbered as STLs.
They went, new in 1946, to Watford and Luton for route 321 (and later 351).
The first three delivered to Watford were in RED livery,
but were repainted in October 1946.
This was amended (but not improved) in 1948,
with the off-white giving way to cream, and with the tuck-downs painted cream to give a level roof line
The cab-sides, mudguards, lifeguards and roofs were painted green.
Once sufficient RTs were available they were sold on to appreciative municipalities: Widnes had 4, Grimsby 6 and Dundee 10.
STL 2692 is preserved in Kent, restored to London Transport green and cream.
STL 2692 in preservation