STL 558 (Total 1) 13STL9Another early independent user of the long Regent was Red Line (Brickwood). This firm was also acquired by LPTB in December 1933.
Chassis: AEC Regent (16ft 3in), petrol, Daimler gearbox, triple servo brakes. (1932)
Body: a second-hand Birch Bros body (1930), came from a Daimler chassis,
rebuilt 1931 by Birch Bros with a casing enclosing the staircase and rear, an enclosed cab,
roller blinds (front and rear) and stencil roof-boxes,
to produce a quite striking bus by the standards of the time.
After transfer to London Transport in late 1933 it was inspected by the LT engineers,
who were unhappy about its structural integrity, especially at the rebuilt rear end.
The blind apertures were also of non standard sizes, so that LT blinds would not fit.
It was sent off to Harrow Weald to work alongside the DST class, with which it shared the Daimler transmission. It moved to Catford in November 1936, and spent most of its London Transport career working on the 75 route (Woolwich-Blackheath-Catford-Penge-Croydon-Caterham Valley), alongside Tilling STs, where its outside staircase was not unusual. Roller blinds were reinstated in 1939.
After withdrawal during the war it was used for training, until disposal in 1946.
STL 558 GW 2294 1932 new to Redline, AEC Regent 6611810, petrol, preselector gearbox secondhand Birch body (1930), rebuilt: enclosed staircase, blinds used on 218 (Sudbury - Kings Cross) 12/33 taken over by LT: used initially from Golden Cross garage 1/34 CS transfer to Chiswick rebuilt: open staircase, blinds removed: H26/24RO, 13STL9, #14328 3/34 HD transfer (Harrow Weald), used on 114 1935 HD 11/36 TL transfer: used on 75 (Catford). 37-8 TL 4/39 overhaul: fitted with roller blinds, metal rainstrips in place of glass louvres 40-1 TL 8/41 overhaul 9/41 TL used on 75, roller blinds at front 1/42 TL withdrawn from service 10/43 X reinstated (Middle Row) 1/44 HD transfer 7/44 PB transfer (Potters Bar) 9/44 PB withdrawn into store. 3/46 sold to Lancashire Motor Traders (Knott Mill) */46 sold to F.H.Yates (Runcorn) re-engined (diesel), and rebodied: Transunited C33F 9/48 bought by Sykes Motor Tours (Sale) 5/54 bought by G&S Motors, Hooton 10/55 withdrawn
Photographic ReferencesFor key to the references, see the bibliography
STL 558 GW 2294 LB2939 p85 Original condition, with Red Line on 218 to King's Cross. STL p36 1932 on 218, RedLine STL p37 1932 on 218 to Kings Cross, Harrow Road, RedLine LYG p95 on 218E to Sudbury, Kings Cross STL p37 12/33 rear view: enclosed stair, still in RedLine livery STL p38 3/34 HD on 114 to Mill Hill, rebuilt to open stair, "General" STL p38 193* HD on 114 to Edgware Stn, rear view LBM1 p5 3/34 HD on 114 to Mill Hill LB2939 p86 TL "Converted", with stencils and boards, on Route 75 to Caterham Valley CB36 p43 TL on 75 to Caterham Valley LBBW p31 TL on 75 to Caterham Valley, Perry Hill. STL p92 9/41 TC on 75 to Woolwich, West Croydon, roller blinds at front