The LONDON TRANSPORT AEC Q classThis page created 10th January 2001, using Notepad, by Ian Smith.
The 3Q3s: Country Area double-deckers, Q4-Q5In 1934 the Country Area of London Transport was still doing much its own thing, such as pursuing its own variations in vehicle policy somewhat independent of Chiswick. That year they ordered lowbridge STLs - with forward entrances and doors - with bodies by Weymann, and also two double-decker Qs - also with centre entrances and doors. They were intended for Green Line use, and were delivered in green livery with black bands with Green Line as well as London Transport fleetnames.
ConstructionChassis: AEC Q, 15ft 10in wheelbase, AEC A167 petrol engine, D129 gearbox
Body: Weymann, 26ft 0in, H28/28C.
Apart from the obviously different siting of the doorway,
there were plenty of small differences between these and the front-entrance Central buses.
The lower saloon windows were mounted much lower,
and the middle of the three mouldings was gone.
A line of ventilation louvres appeared above the lower deck windows.
The front windows were correspondingly deeper,
and the AEC triangle badge was absent.
Into serviceHowever, the powers-that-be decided that the two buses (BPG 507 and BPJ224) were unsuitable for Green Line use, and after the removal of the Green Line lettering they went to work at Leatherhead on the 406, between Redhill and Kingston, where they were joined by forward-entrance Country STLS.
Country Area records were taken over by Chiswick in 1935, and the two buses acquired their fleetnumbers: Q4 and Q5.
In May 1937 they were joined by Q2 and Q3 from the Central Area.
In July 1938 all four moved to Hertford (HG) for use on the 310.
That lasted for a year, then all five Q double-deckers were moved to Grays (GY) for the 372.
The war saw the retirement of all five into store at various places.
Post-warThe pair were sold in March 1946 to Lancashire Motor Traders in Salford, who found homes for both of them.
Q4 was bought by G.H.Ennifer of Doncaster for his Blue Ensign bus company, and was put into service on their route between Doncaster and Rossington in blue and cream livery with a false AEC radiator on the front. They later fitted it with a diesel engine. It appeared without the false radiator, but with horizontal aluminium mouldings forming a broad inverted vee on the front. It lasted in service until 1951.
Q5 went to Brown of Garelochhead, along with Q188. It too was fitted with a fake AEC grille. By 1950 it had been retired, and was in use as a caravan.