The CC class: LT 1000, 1051, 1202, 1203 (total 4)Whilst the LGOC had close ties with the Associated Equipment Company (AEC), it had designs on building its own chassis at Chiswick. Permission was granted for the building of twelve experimental buses, six six-wheeler double deckers and six single deckers, the CC and CB types.
The double deckers were superficially very similar to the LT class. But the chassis design allowed for a very long engine, perhaps a straight-eight, whereas only a six-cylinder Meadows petrol engine was actually fitted.
The five-foot long bonnet required a commensurately shorter body, so the inside staircase body had six bays between the bulkheads each 0.75 inch shorter than the 36" spacing of the corresponding LT3 bodies. The last bay, with the platform, remained at 38.5".
With the front bulkhead pulled back, the overhang and the canopies were also extended.
Perhaps the most obvious difference was in the chassis-mounted windowless cab and the tapered Chiswick radiator (This had GENERAL cast into it).
The first CC was delivered to Chiswick in July 1930, was numbered LT1000, and went for service to Nunhead in September 1930. The second, LT1051, was delivered to Chiswick in September 1930 but not licensed for another year.
Three more CC bodies were completed during September, but there seems to have been a change of heart, for these were modified to fit AEC chasis in place of LT3 bodies, with cabs cantilevered out from the front bulkhead in the usual way. They remained identifiable quickly by the larger half-bay upstairs and the spacer between bulkhead and cab/bonnet downstairs. One of these bodies survived until after the war, by then mounted on LT259.
Two further CC chassis were built in late 1931. These received not the special CC bodies, but modified LT5 bodies! (The length restrictions had been eased slightly by then). These two CCs were numbered LT 1202 and 1203, and could be identified by the Chiswick radiators.
In February 1932 LT 1051 was fitted with a 85bhp Gardner 5LW engine,
(although a 6LW would have fitted under the long bonnet)
and plodded around with a low-speed engine and low-geared rear axle
giving an absolute top speed of 25mph!
Working alongside the LTs at Harrow Weald (HD) that had 130 bhp available
it was not popular. Even a move to Hanwell in April didn't help,
and it was withdrawn for re-engining in May.
With a new AEC engine it went to work again in September 1932 at Nunhead.
The other three CCs were also fitted with AEC engines in 1933,
and acquired further AEC bits as time went on:
AEC clutch, AEC gearbox, AEC differentials...
With these fittings all four went to work at Streatham (AK),
where they stayed until sold in 1939.