The LONDON TRANSPORT D classThis page created 2nd January 2000, by Ian Smith
Maidstone DaimlersDuring 1949, while London Transport was having difficulty filling its bus allocations, Maidstone Corporation bought some new Daimler CWG6s, with postwar Brush bodies. The Corporation had difficulties paying for the new buses, and hired three of them to the hard-pressed LT.
LKJ 777, 779 and 782 were allocated to Sutton, and worked alongside the Park Royal Daimlers for the rest of 1949 and much of 1950. When they arrived they were devoid of adverts, but were immediately fitted with garage and running number holders, and LT roundels on the radiator. Black notice panels were affixed beside the door to announce that they were London Transport vehicles.
Adverts came later. They returned to Maidstone in the summer of 1950.